Elgin City were only granted Scottish League status in 2000, they have a long and illustrious history as one of the most successful Highland League clubs of all time. Formed in 1893, upon the amalgamation of Elgin Rovers and Vale of Lossie, they were accepted to the Highland League two years later, winning their first game against Citadel 7-2. They pottered about passionately but quite unremarkably until immediately after the First World War. Their Station Park ground had been ploughed up for the war effort, so they had to look for a new home - first at Cooper Park, but then at the pitch that they have been playing on ever since - Borough Briggs.
The winning barrage has slowed a little since their ascention to the Scottish Third Division, but their homely 3927 capacity Borough Briggs ground did see them lift one more North Cup title in 2004 - raising their tally in that competition to 18. lets hope that they can soon consolidate in this higher level, and give their fans some of the success that they became accustomed to in the Highland League.
All photos © lays with the owners
Videos from YouTube. Underlying © lays with the owners of the clips.